ÖBB is an Austrian train company and was ranked as one of the most reliable railway operators in Europe in 2017 with a punctuality rate of 96%.
Impressive Fact: 1.3 million passengers reach their destinations every day with ÖBB.
- With the ÖBB Standard-Ticket, you have utmost flexibility. You are not limited to a certain train and can choose your connection freely.
- Standard single tickets are valid for 2 days - irrespective of the route and the sales channel chosen.
- Linked to the selected train, validity is on the chosen travel day and the train selected.
Are you wanting to cancel your booking and receive a refund? Or are you simply wanting to know if your ticket can be cancelled once booked? That does depend on the fare type that is selected in the booking process.
- Can be cancelled and refunded free of charge prior to the first day of validity on the outbound journey. Note: If the ticket has been downloaded via the ÖBB link in the confirmation email, it can no longer be cancelled or refunded.
- Unfortunately these tickets cannot be cancelled or refunded.
- First Class (available on: Railjet, Eurocity, Intercity, ICE)
- Economy class (available on: Railjet, Eurocity, Intercity)
- Business Class (available on all trains)
If you are caught in that unpleasant scenario where your train is delayed or cancelled, you are of course entitled to claim compensation.
For delays and cancellation/strikes, you will need to apply for compensation directly with ÖBB. You can get the form via this link.
When booking train tickets for children, we know it can be complicated regarding what age category they fall into in the online ticket world.
These are the age policies regarding ÖBB tickets:
- Child = Up until the day before the 6th birthday - (travel for free)
- Adolescents = from the 6th birthday until the day before the 15th birthday - (pay half price)
- Adult = 15+ years old - (full price)
It is possible to reserve a seat on your ÖBB ticket but is not included in the ticket price. This can be done both during the booking, and can be added on after the booking.
Please note that the ÖBB night train automatically includes a seat reservation.
For all other trains, you can reserve a seat 3 months prior to the travel date up until the booking deadline from the following points of sale:
- On the ÖBB website
- By calling the ÖBB customer service on +43 (0)5 1717
- At one of the ÖBB ticket counters
When booking online, the ticket selected will indicate whether it is a mobile ticket or not. If you missed it, the printing instructions are also stated in the booking confirmation that was emailed to you when the booking was completed.
As a general rule for ÖBB tickets:
- National journeys: Just show your mobile ticket to the controller. A printed ticket is not required.
- International trips: Your ticket must be printed on A4 paper prior to your trip.
- Passengers can fill out a form in advance here.
- The form must be submitted at least 12 hours prior before departure for national travels, and at least 45 hours before international ones Please note that when the time of departure is before 9 in the morning, the submission must be done before 6pm the day before.
- Passengers must be at the point of meeting 20 minutes before departure
- More information can be found here.
BB Customer Service information for Passengers with disabilities:
- Tel.: +430517175
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Worried you might have packed too much? Not a problem. ÖBB trains allow you to bring as much luggage as you can carry as there are no restrictions.
They do ask that you ensure your luggage is not obstructing the aisle or inconveniencing other passengers. The luggage must also should fit in the overhead racks or storage compartments that are located at each end of the train.
Many passengers wish to travel with their beloved pets, and thankfully this is possible on most ÖBB trains.
Please note the following policies for the transport of animals on ÖBB trains:
- Small and harmless animals can be taken free of charge in suitable transport containers.
- If you take an animal which cannot be transported as hand luggage in a transport container, you will have to pay for a fare for your pet.
Guide dogs: travel for free on all trains.
- Within Austria a bicycle ticket costs 10% of a full price ticket 2nd class for the route (minimum fee of 2 EUR applies)
- Weekly or monthly tickets for bicycles are available
- On regional trains (regional train, regional express and S-Bahn) bicycles can be taken only if space is available, there is no reservation possible.