Changes to the date, time or itinerary are dependent on the fare type selected. You can easily check your options by checking your ticket against the fare types below:
- Promo: This is the cheapest fare offered by Renfe, however they are restricted and therefore changes are not possible.
- Promo+: The ticket can be modified, subject to a 20% fee and the eventual price difference between your ticket and the new ticket.
- Flexible: The ticket can be modified without fees up to 30 minutes before departure, subject to the eventual price difference between your ticket and the new ticket. If the new ticket is cheaper, you will of course be entitled to a refund of the difference.
- General: Similar conditions to the Flexible fare, a small exchange fee may apply though.
- Ida y Vuelta: The ticket can be modified without fees up to 30 minutes before departure, subject to the eventual price difference between your ticket and the new ticket. If the new ticket is cheaper, you will be entitled to a refund of the difference.
- Essential: Unfortunately these tickets cannot be modified.
- Flexi: Unfortunately these tickets cannot be modified.
In order to change your ticket, give us a call so we can handle any amendments over the phone.
Whilst not all Renfe rail tickets are refundable, you can easily check your options by looking at the fare types below:
- Promo: Sadly these tickets cannot be cancelled.
- Promo+: The ticket can be cancelled before departure, subject to a 20% fee.
- Flexible: The ticket can be cancelled before departure, subject to a 5% fee.
- General: The ticket can be cancelled before departure, subject to a 15% fee.
- Ida y Vuelta: If the outbound and inbound tickets are cancelled at the same time, a 15% fee will apply. If the tickets are cancelled separately, a 40% fee will apply.
- Essential: The ticket can be cancelled before departure, subject to a 50% fee.
- Flexi: The ticket can be cancelled free of charge more than 24 hours before departure and subject to a 10% fee less than 24 hours before departure.
If you are encountering an issue with the cancellation process, we would be more than happy to assist you. Please contact us via phone or live chat. Alternatively you can also send a message using our web form.
- Second class: Standard seats, power sockets for laptops & mobiles.
- Second+ class: First class seats without lounge access or a meal.
- First class: Reclining leather seats, complimentary newspaper, power sockets for laptops & mobiles. Access to club lounges at arrival and departure stations. A meal served at your seat on weekday AVE services.
Unfortunately accidents can happen, and unexpected delays and cancellations do sometimes occur.
Here's what you are entitled to should you find yourself inconvenienced whilst travelling on a Renfe service:
- Alvia, Euromed and AV City trains: 50% refund for delays over 30 minutes and 100% over 60 minutes.
- Talgo, Intercity and Trenhotel: equal or over 60 minutes: 50% refund, over 90 minutes: 100%.
- Media Distancia: over 15 minutes: 25% refund, over 30 minutes: 50% refund, over 60 minutes: 100% refund.
- Regional: over 30 minutes: 25%, over 45 minutes: 50%, over 60 minutes: 100%.
- Avant: over 15 minutes: 50% refund, over 30 minutes: 100% refund.
Please let us know if you have experienced one of the above delays on your train and we will be more than happy to contact Renfe on your behalf to try and get a resolution for you.
Cancellations: Passengers will need to claim compensation directly with Renfe for cancellations. You can do so either at the ticket counter or by clicking here.
Strikes: While a rare occurrence, Renfe does go on strike once in a while. Most of the time, tickets can be exchanged or cancelled free of charge.
Not sure which ticket to book? With Renfe, there are three age brackets which determine the price of your ticket:
Infant: under 4 years old, passengers must select a free child's ticket during the booking process - this can be booked along with adult tickets but it is also possible to add this on an existing booking, just let us know ASAP.
Child: 4 - 14 years old, a 40% discount is automatically applied to the ticket price of a General fare. If the Promo fare is cheaper, the child will be issued a Promo ticket instead of a general one.
Seat reservations are automatically allocated at the time of booking subject to availability. Groups of passengers in the same booking will be seated as close together as possible.
There is an option to choose your seating preference when booking and this is taken into account when possible, but these choices cannot be guaranteed. Please note that changing seat reservations is not possible.
It is not possible to reserve a seat on Regional Express (R. Expres) journeys.
This depends on whether you are travelling domestically (within Spain) or internationally. Renfe states the following:
Domestic routes: Customers may show their tickets from a mobile device, must be the full document.
International routes: Customers are required to print their tickets before departure. Tickets can be printed from any of the main stations (i.e. in large cities) via the fancy purple Renfe ticket machines, but they cannot be printed from a ticket office.
It is not currently possible to book the required services for passengers requiring assistance through Omio, therefore we would recommend that you place the booking with Renfe directly. They can be reached by calling +34 91 214 05 05.
Ticket can also be booked:
- At the train station
- At a Renfe sales offices
- On the Renfe website
When booking you will need to indicate the type of assistance that is needed: a person travelling in a wheelchair needing a appropriate seat, a person in a folding wheelchair needing a regular seat, a person with auditory or visual impairment without a guide, or a person with reduced mobility.
Once the service has been requested, you will need to go to the designated meeting point at the station, at least 30 minutes before departure.
If the train you are travelling on has a specific seat for reduced mobility in 1st class, you will pay the same price as for a 2nd class ticket.
Wheelchairs should not exceed 70 x 130 x 140 cm (width, x depth x height).
You can carry up to 3 pieces of luggage on a Renfe train. You do need to ensure that each piece of luggage does not exceed 85 x 55 x 35 cm and 25 kg in weight.
Luggage will need to be placed in the designated areas on the train. Passengers should try to be as considerate as possible by ensuring luggage does not obstruct the isle.
Yes! However there are some conditions so please read the following carefully before you travel.
- On AVE and Long Distance trains, passengers are entitled to travel with one animal per passenger. Animals should weigh no more than 10 kg and will need to be carried in a basket or container not exceeding the following dimensions, 60 x 35 x 35 cm. On sleeper trains, passengers must reserve a full cabin.
- On Media Distancia and Avant trains, small pets are permitted provided they are under the owner’s supervision at all times and that other passengers are not inconvenienced. Pets must travel with a health certificate in accordance with health and safety conditions established by current legislation.
- On commuter trains: Small pets are permitted provided they are under the owner’s supervision and that other passengers are not inconvenienced.
- Guide dogs travel for free on all the above trains.
In Media Distancia, Feve and Cercanias trains, it is not necessary for the bike to be kept in a bag and will be considered hand luggage if it is folded and the sum of its dimensions does not exceed 180 cm. Fully assembled bikes may be transported under the following conditions:
- On a Renfe service without reservation options: one bike per passenger and subject limited storage on board. A three euro fee applies for journeys over 100 km. For journeys under 100 km, no fee is charged.
- In services with reservation options, the number of spaces on board is limited and passengers will be charged three euros for trips over 100 km.
International journeys: Free of charge if folded and carried in a case not exceeding 120 x 90cm.
We completely understand that this can be a little confusing. If you are unsure of anything at all (or just want to make sure you have it right), give us a quick call and we will do our best to clear it up for you.
- Tarjeta+Renfe Joven 50
- Scope: Valid for travelers aged between 14 and 25 years old.
- Discount on AVE and Larga Distancia trains: 50% discount if the ticket is booked up to 30 days before departure, 40% more than 15 days prior departure and 30% if the ticket is purchased less than 15 days before departure.
- Discount on Avant and Media Distancia trains: 25% discount on all trains.
- Cost: 50€ per year.
- Changes: The ticket can be modified up to 10 minutes before departure, free of charge for the same day and subject to a 20% fee for another day. On Media Distancia trains, a minimum fee of 1€ per ticket will apply.
- Cancellation: The ticket can be cancelled up to 10 minutes before departure, subject to a 30% fee.
- Tarjeta Dorada
- Scope: Valid for travelers over 60 years old or people over 18 declared with a permanent disability.
- Discount on AVE and Larga Distancia trains: 40% discount from Monday to Friday and 25% discount from Friday to Sunday.
- Discount on Media Distancia trains: 40% discount on all trains, days and routes.
- Discount on Avant trains: 40% discount on Saturdays and Sundays and 25% discount from Monday to Friday.
- Cost: 6€ per year.
- Changes: The ticket can be modified up to 10 minutes before departure, free of charge for the same day and subject to a 10% fee for another day. On Media Distancia trains, a minimum fee of 1€ per ticket will apply.
- Cancellation: The ticket can be cancelled up to 10 minutes before departure, subject to a 15% fee.