Needing to make some changes to your ticket? Changes to the date, time or itinerary are pretty flexible with Renfe tickets, providing the fare type you have allows for amendments.
Check the fare type at the top of your ticket and then have a look at the breakdown below to see if your ticket can be changed:
- Promo: This is the cheapest fare offered by Renfe, and in order to produce these tickets at a cheaper price, they are completely restricted, therefore changes are not possible.
- Promo+: The ticket can be modified, subject to a 20% fee and the eventual price difference between your ticket and the new ticket.
- Flexible: The ticket can be modified without fees up to 30 minutes before departure, subject to the eventual price difference between your ticket and the new ticket. If the new ticket is cheaper, you will of course be entitled to a refund of the difference.
- General: Similar conditions to the Flexible fare, a small exchange fee may apply though.
- Ida y Vuelta: The ticket can be modified without fees up to 30 minutes before departure, subject to the eventual price difference between your ticket and the new ticket. If the new ticket is cheaper, you will be entitled to a refund of the difference.
- Essential: Unfortunately these ticket cannot be modified.
- Flexi: These tickets also cannot be modified.
So, if you have found out that your ticket can be changed, you are probably now wondering how to go about doing this. Just get in touch with us via phone and we can change this for you straight away. You can also send us a message through our web form, but please bear in mind this does not guarantee you an immediate response.
We kindly remind you that we have to apply the conditions set by our travel partner Renfe and cannot override them.
Looking to cancel your ticket rather than changing it? Please refer to your ticket type under "Can I cancel my ticket?" below for more information.
- Promo: Sadly these tickets cannot be cancelled. This is the cheapest fare offered by Renfe, and in order to produce these tickets at a cheaper price, they are completely restricted.
- Promo+: The ticket can be cancelled before departure, subject to a 20% fee.
- Flexible: The ticket can be cancelled before departure, subject to a 5% fee.
- General: The ticket can be cancelled before departure, subject to a 15% fee.
- Ida y Vuelta: If the outbound and inbound tickets are cancelled at the same time, a 15% fee will apply. If the tickets are cancelled separately, a 40% fee will apply.
- Essential: The ticket can be cancelled before departure, subject to a 50% fee.
- Flexi: The ticket can be cancelled free of charge more than 24 hours before departure and subject to a 10% fee less than 24 hours before departure.
If you have any doubts about the cancellation possibilities or are encountering an issue with the cancellation process, we are more than happy to assist you. You can contact us easily via phone or live chat, or alternatively you can also send a message using our web form.
- Second class: Standard seats
- First class: Large leather seats and a newspaper
- Second+ class: Greater comfort in your seat.
- Alvia, Euromed and AV City trains: 50% refund for delays over 30 minutes and 100% over 60 minutes.
- Talgo, Intercity and Trenhotel: equal or over 60 minutes: 50% refund, over 90 minutes: 100%.
- Media Distancia: over 15 minutes: 25% refund, over 30 minutes: 50% refund, over 60 minutes: 100% refund.
- Regional: over 30 minutes: 25%, over 45 minutes: 50%, over 60 minutes: 100%.
- Avant: over 15 minutes: 50% refund, over 30 minutes: 100% refund.
Please let us know if you have experienced one of the above delays on your train and we will be more than happy to contact Renfe on your behalf to try and get a resolution for you.
Cancellations: You will need to claim compensation directly with Renfe for cancellations. You can do so either at the ticket counter or through this link.
Strikes: While a rare occurrence, Renfe does go on strike once in a while. Most of the time, tickets can be exchanged or cancelled free of charge.
- Infant = Under 4 years old: Must have a free child's ticket - this can be booked along with adult tickets but it is also possible to add this on an existing booking, just let us know ASAP.
- Child = 4 - 14 years old: These tickets will be sold with a 40% discount of the General fare applied. Generally the child will not need ID unless there is reason to question their age. If the Promo fare is cheaper, the child will be issued a Promo ticket instead of a general one.
- Adult = 15+
You do not need to worry about ensuring you have remembered to add a seat reservation with most Renfe tickets. Seats are assigned automatically based on availability. Groups of passengers in the same booking will be seated as close together as possible.
There is an option to choose your seating preference when booking and these are taken into account as much as possible, but these choices cannot be guaranteed. Also, please note that changing seat reservations is impossible.
Tickets booked on Regional Express (R. Expres) do not include a seat reservation, as it is not available at all for any passengers on these trains.
This just depends on whether you are travelling domestically (within Spain) or internationally. Renfe states the following:
- Domestic routes: Customers may show their tickets from a mobile device, must be the full document.
- International routes: Customers are required to print their tickets before departure. Tickets can be printed from any of the main stations (i.e. in large cities) via the fancy purple Renfe ticket machines, but they cannot be printed from a ticket office.
If you will be needing assistance during your journey, Renfe ask that this is requested during the booking process. As of yet it is not possible to do this through our website, therefore we would recommend that you place the booking through Renfe directly. Here are the ways you can do this:
- At the train station
- At Renfe sales offices
- By phone: +34 91 214 05 05
- On the Renfe website
Their policies regarding passengers with reduced mobility is as follows:
When booking you will need to indicate the type of assistance that is needed: a person travelling in a wheelchair needing a H seat, a person in a folding wheelchair needing a regular seat, a person with auditory or visual disability without a guide, or a person with reduced mobility.
Once the Atendo service has been requested, you will need to go to the designated meeting point at the station, at least 30 minutes before departure.
If the train you are travelling on has a specific seat for reduced mobility in 1st class, you will pay the same price as for a 2nd class ticket.
Renfe state that if the disability is 65% or greater, a Gold card can be obtained, offering a discount between 25% and 40% depending on the train and day of departure.
Wheelchairs may not exceed 70cm width x 130cm depth x 140cm height.
Have you already booked your ticket with us at Omio (formerly GoEuro) and are needing assistance on your trip? Not to worry, just get in touch with us to let us know as soon as possible and we will try to get as much information as possible for you.
You can carry up to 3 pieces of luggage on a Renfe train. You do need to ensure that the total of all cases you have does not exceed 290cm in length (or 85 x 55 x 35 cm each), and 25kg maximum in total.
The luggage will need to be placed in the designated areas on the train (such as overhead or on the racks) and try to be as considerate as possible of other passengers by ensuring you are not obstructing the isle.
To all animal lovers this is a crucial question, and it thankfully has a positive answer when travelling with Renfe. Although there are some restrictions, the short answer is yes, you can travel with your pet!
Depending on the train you are travelling on, you can find all the information below:
- On AVE and Long Distance trains: a maximum of one pet per passenger will be admitted on board, weighing no more than 10kg, and will need to be carried in a basket or container not exceeding 60 x 35 x 35cm. On sleeper trains, you would need to reserve a full cabin.
- On Media Distancia and Avant trains: Small pets will be allowed on trains, always under the owner’s supervision provided that the other passengers do not object. Pets must travel with a health certificate, if necessary, in accordance with health and safety conditions established in current legislation.
- On commuter trains: Small pets will be allowed on trains, always under the owner’s custody provided that the other passengers do not object and no inconvenience is caused to them. No ticket will be issued nor will any amount be paid for their travel.
If you have any questions at all regarding any of the above pet policy information, please let us know and we will be more than happy to clarify it for you.
Guide dogs travel for free on all the above trains.
In Media Distancia, Feve and Cercanias trains, it is not necessary for the bike to be kept in a bag and will be considered as a hand luggage if it is folded and the sum of its dimensions does not exceed 180cm. Fully assembled bikes may be carried under the following conditions:
- On a Renfe service without reservation options: limited to 1 bike per passenger and limited storage on board. It will be charged 3 euros for journeys over 100 km and free of charge for journeys under 100 km.
- In services with reservation options: the number of spaces on board is limited, and will be charged 3 euros for trips over 100 km.
International journeys: Free of charge if folded and carried in a case not exceeding 120 x 90cm.
We completely understand that the above information can get a little confusing. If you are unsure of anything at all (or just want to make sure you have it right) just give us a quick call and we will do our best to clear it up for you.
- Tarjeta +Renfe Joven 50
- Scope: Valid for travelers aged between 14 and 25 years old (included).
- Discount on AVE and Larga Distancia trains: 50% discount if the ticket is booked up to 30 days before departure, 40% more than 15 days prior departure and 30% if the ticket is purchased less than 15 days before departure.
- Discount on Avant and Media Distancia trains: 25% discount on all trains.
- Cost: 50€ per year.
- Changes: The ticket can be modified up to 10 minutes before departure, free of charge for the same day and subject to a 20% fee for another day. On Media Distancia trains, a minimum fee of 1€ per ticket will apply.
- Cancellation: The ticket can be cancelled up to 10 minutes before departure, subject to a 30% fee.
- Tarjeta Dorada
- Scope: Valid for travelers over 60 years old or people over 18 declared with a permanent disability.
- Discount on AVE and Larga Distancia trains: 40% discount from Monday to Friday and 25% discount from Friday to Sunday.
- Discount on Media Distancia trains: 40% discount on all trains, days and routes.
- Discount on Avant trains: 40% discount on Saturdays and Sundays and 25% discount from Monday to Friday.
- Cost: 6€ per year.
- Changes: The ticket can be modified up to 10 minutes before departure, free of charge for the same day and subject to a 10% fee for another day. On Media Distancia trains, a minimum fee of 1€ per ticket will apply.
- Cancellation: The ticket can be cancelled up to 10 minutes before departure, subject to a 15% fee.