Life is chaotic and we understand that sometimes plans change. If the fare type of your ticket allows for cancellation, you can easily do this through the "Your bookings" page. Whilst not all SJ tickets are refundable, you can easily check your options by looking at the fare types below:
- Non-Amendable Fare: Unfortunately these tickets cannot be amended, refunded or transferred. If you are unable to travel due to sickness, refunds are available on presentation of a medical certificate.
- Refundable Fare: These tickets can be cancelled and refunded before the time of departure.
Only the passenger whose name is listed on the ticket can travel, providing they have a corresponding ID card or passport. If you have misspelled the passenger's name, you will need to cancel your ticket (if possible) and re-book.
- Second class: Comfortable seating on all trains.
- First class: Maximum comfort and excellent service with free WiFi on all trains.
Unfortunately accidents can happen, and unexpected delays and cancellations do sometimes occur. For all delays and complaints regarding SJ services, you can request compensation from the travel company directly by writing to SJ customer service at: email@example.com.
Not sure which ticket to book? With SJ, there are three age brackets which determine the price of your ticket:
- Infant - 0-1 year old - travel for free when accompanied by an adult.
- Child - 2-15 years old - travel at a discounted price, max 2 children per adult.
- Adult - 15+
Seat reservations are automatically allocated at the time of booking, subject to availability. Groups of passengers in the same booking will be seated as close together as possible.
When travelling with SJ, tickets can be shown to an inspector directly from your phone and do not need to be printed.
SJ can assist you when boarding, alighting and even changing trains. This is available at many stations throughout Sweden.
They kindly ask that you request this assistance at least 24 hours in advance by calling them on: +46 771 75 75 75
There are also designated seats on all trains located in close proximity to a WC and the closest exit. Disabled seating is available in both 1st class and 2nd class, and can be booked directly on the SJ website.
You'll be relieved to hear that SJ do allow pets to travel on their trains provided you book directly via the SJ website. When you purchase your ticket, it's important to reserve a seat in the specific section labelled "Pets allowed."
Unfortunately it is not possible to take fully assembled bikes onto SJ trains. If you have a folding bike or can disassemble and pack it as a luggage item however, you may bring it on board as part of your luggage allowance.