With an InterCity (or IC) ticket you have flexibility regarding your time of travel, whether traveling on domestic journeys in Belgium or international journeys.
Do you need to change to travel at a different time of the day? Don't worry, tickets are valid for all NS InterCity trains on the day of validity of your ticket. During the booking process, you can select a specific time of travel, but can choose to travel on a different train.
If you take a look at your ticket, you will see that there is no time specified to travel. You can check the different time schedules on NS's website by recreating your itinerary.
It is not possible to make any changes to an InterCity ticket. If you are needing to amend any part of your ticket, the booking must be cancelled, with a refund if the fare allows it, and re-booked with the required date and itinerary. Take a moment to read the section “Can I cancel my ticket?” below.
Do you need to travel on a different day? Are you looking to cancel your ticket so that you can re-book with an amended itinerary? Take a moment to read about the cancellation policy for NS tickets.
- Non-Flex: The non-flex fare offers the cheapest prices and will be your best option if you're looking to travel with minimal cost. Please note that once the ticket is booked, there is no cancellation possible. You have flexibility on the time of travel but keep in mind that your ticket is only valid on the chosen date.
- Semi-Flex (Early Bird): With an Early Bird ticket, cancel your ticket up to the day before departure with a 5€ cancellation fee. As tickets are valid for an entire day, it is not possible to cancel on the day of travel
- Full Flex: A full flex ticket will allow you to cancel your ticket free of charge before departure.
Please note that above are the conditions set by our partner NS. We must follow them and unfortunately cannot override them.
If you are having trouble with the cancellation process or are unsure of your ticket fare type, please get in touch with us and we will be happy to assist you further.
Are you wondering if you can transfer your ticket to someone else?
Every NS ticket specifies the name of the passenger and it is not possible to transfer your ticket to a someone else. The passenger's name on the ticket cannot be changed and this person must be travelling in order for the ticket to be valid.
Don't forget to bring a valid ID when travelling, you will be required to show identification along with the ticket.
Are you wondering about classes available on the train and what the differences between them are? On NS trains, you can find first and second class seating:
- Second class: Standard seating, depending upon availability.
- First class: offers more space in a quieter atmosphere, as well as a more comfortable seat when available.You will also enjoy extra services,which will make your trip even more pleasant. Some of these advantages include wifi, free choice of newspapers, drinks and snacks.
Please note that as tickets are valid for more than one train, a seat cannot be guaranteed, even when booking a first class ticket.
If you are caught in that unpleasant scenario where your train is delayed or cancelled, you are of course entitled to claim compensation. In most cases, NS will send you an email before departure of the train to send you notice. Please contact our customer service first, if possible, and we will obtain the refund on your behalf.
Tip: For the latest news on disruptions and delays for NS trains, you can follow this link to check if your train might be affected.
When booking train tickets for children, we understand it can sometimes be complex to navigate the different age categories depending on the train company.
For NS International journeys, these are the different categories in fares:
- Infant = under 4 years old: Infants can travel for free and don't need a ticket if they're sitting on an adult's lap.
- Child = between 4 and 11 years old: you will need to select the child fare. For some services, you can travel with children at no extra cost
- Adult (on Omio) = from 12 years old on
Wondering if your ticket will have a seat reserved for you? Because these tickets are valid for the entire day, there are no seat reservations with your ticket. You can however select which class of service you would like; like most trains, IC trains offer second and first class. For more information on this, please check the section "what travel classes are available?" above.
For NS international journeys, like most international journey, printed tickets are necessary to travel. Don’t forget to print the ticket before going to the station and bring it with a valid ID with you.
For passengers with disabilities, tickets should be booked directly with NS International. If you need help boarding, transferring, or exiting the train, you can take advantage of the free NS Travel Assistance service.
NS offers Travel Assistance at more than 115 stations throughout the Netherlands. To ensure someone is able to assist you board the departing train, book the travel assistance service at least 1 hour before departure, online or by phone (+31 30 2357822).For more info please follow this link.
There are limitations or specifications regarding measures or weight for luggage, however with NS there are some rules regarding size and quantity for special items such us bikes, wheelchairs, strollers and sports equipment.
In case of doubt, you can contact us.
In the Netherlands, your pet can accompany you on the train, but a few conditions do apply. You can bring pets on the Intercity trains for free if they are in a carried cage, bag or basket.
For guide dogs on a leash, we recommend you to purchase a Day Ticket Dog at the station.
With a specific pass called Fietskaart Dal, you can bring your bicycle along with you on weekdays between 09:00 and 16:00, and from 18:30 to 06:30 the next morning. The extra cost for this ticket is 6.90€ as of January 2019.
We hope to add this feature soon on Omio, but for the moment, please check this special bike ticket at the station ticket offices or online.For more information on this topic and to book your Fietskaart Dal, please follow this link.