Please refer to your ticket fare type under "Can I cancel my ticket?" below to see if your ticket allows for this.
- Super Sparpreis: Unfortunately these tickets cannot be cancelled/changed. The ticket is only valid on the chosen train.
- Sparpreis: These tickets can be cancelled up until the day before departure subject to a 19€ fee set by DB. Tickets cannot be cancelled on the day of departure. It is only valid on the departure day and time stated on the ticket. The ticket is only valid on the chosen train.
- Flexpreis: The ticket can cancelled free of charge up until the day before departure and subject to a 19€ free from the day of departure.
Tips regarding Flexpreis tickets:
- Use the Deutsche Bahn website to cancel your Flexpreis ticket after the day of departure.
- For domestic journeys under 100 km, you can only travel on the day indicated on the ticket. For domestic journeys overs 100 km, you can only travel on the day indicated on the ticket and on the day after it. Provided you do not change the departure or destination stations, you can interrupt your journey or continue travelling on the next day.
- On international journeys, tickets are valid for up to 4 days.
Please note that we must follow the conditions set by Deutsche Bahn for their tickets, and unfortunately cannot override them.
If you are having trouble with the cancellation process or are unsure of your ticket fare type, please get in touch with us and we will be happy to assist you further.
Wanting to know if your ticket can be used by someone else? Or maybe your ticket is for multiple passengers but you are only seeing one name? Deutsche Bahn tickets only include the name of the main passenger, who will be required to provide identification on board.
Any other passenger will not need to show identification for the ticket.
The main passenger's name cannot be changed and this passenger must be travelling in order for the ticket to be valid.
- Second class: Standard seating (where available), reservations not included but can be added for extra cost.
- First class: offers more space, comfort and seat reservations are included.
Note: WiFi, food and beverage services are only available on ICE trains.
Also, a good point to bear in mind when boarding: It is often louder in the middle of a car on older Deutsche Bahn trains due to the location of the axis. The opposite is true for newer models.
If you are caught in that unpleasant scenario where your train is delayed or cancelled, you are of course entitled to claim compensation.
You can do so by completing the form that is provided on the train, or you can get the form via this link.
In terms of compensation, Deutsche Bahn offers the following:
If the train is delayed for over 60 minutes then passengers are entitled to a 25% refund. For trains delayed over 120 minutes, passengers are entitled to 50% refund.
If a train is cancelled, a full refund can be claimed with Deutsche Bahn or alternatively, the ticket can also be used on another train. It is best to check at a ticket counter as to what options you have in events such as these.
When booking train tickets for children, we know it can be complicated regarding what age category they fall into in the online ticket world.
These are the age policies regarding Deutsche Bahn tickets:
- Infant = under 6 years old: Infants travel for free. The ticket will not show the number of infants travelling.
- Child = 6-14 years old: a child also travels for free when with a parent or grandparent. The ticket will show the number of children travelling.
- Adult = 15+ years old.
- 2nd class tickets: The seat reservation is not mandatory and not included in the ticket price. It may be reserved as an add-on option during the booking process on GoEuro, for an extra fee (4.50€ per person on domestic journeys and 5.90€ on international journeys). While it is non refundable, it can be changed once via the order search page on the Deutsche Bahn website.
- 1st class tickets: The seat reservation is included in the ticket price for all passengers; children and infants travelling for free included. It can be changed once via the order search page on the Deutsche Bahn website.
- If you forgot to add-on the seat reservation during the booking process on Omio (formerly GoEuro), you can still reserve a seat on the Deutsche Bahn website after the booking has been made by following this link.
- If you have a seat reservation and need to change your date of travel, remember to first change your seat reservation to the new departure and then cancel the ticket itself.
When booking online, the ticket selected will indicate whether it is a mobile ticket or not. If you missed it, the printing instructions are also stated in the booking confirmation that was emailed to you when the booking was completed.
As a general rule for Deutsche Bahn tickets:
- Domestic journeys: The PDF ticket can be displayed on a mobile device.
- International journeys: It is recommended to print the ticket, as it may not be considered valid in a mobile format outside of Germany.
Passengers with disabilities should contact the Mobility Service Centre to plan their barrier-free trips. You can do so by calling +49 (0) 180 6 51 25 12 daily from 06:00 to 22:00.
Agents at the Mobility Service Centre will also assist with finding the best connections, booking the tickets and reserving seats, as well as arranging assistance with boarding the trains.
Wheelchairs should not exceed 120 in length and 70 cm in width to fit in the lifts and go through the doors and aisles.
Worried you might have packed too much? Not a problem. DB trains allow you to bring as much luggage as you can carry as there are no restrictions.
They do ask that you ensure your luggage is not obstructing the aisle or inconveniencing other passengers. The luggage must also should fit in the overhead racks or storage compartments that are located at each end of the train.
Deutsche Bahn are happy for your companions to travel with you. Please take a look at their pet policies below to ensure you have all the correct information before travelling:
Small pets under 10 kg are admitted on Deutsche Bahn trains free of charge, as long as they are kept in a closed basket or carrier and do not inconvenience any other passengers. The carrier needs to have the necessary equipment to dispose of waste.
Larger dogs, not carried in a basket or cage, must wear a muzzle and be kept on a leash at all times while on the train. Any passenger that does not follow this procedure may be required to leave.
On long distance journeys, it is required to purchase a half-price ticket for a large dog. For regional journeys, you will need to buy a full-price adult fare ticket. For cross-border journeys, a child’s second-class ticket needs to be purchased for the dog.
Guide dogs: travel for free on all trains.
It is possible to travel with a bicycle on all Intercity (IC) and Eurocity (EC) trains within Germany, but a bicycle ticket does need to be booked.
When booking, if you would like to reserve a bike ticket at the same time as your own, you will need to complete the booking on the Deutsche Bahn website. When there you will find the 'take a bicycle' option in the "Advanced search options" of the booking process.
The number of the coach in which the bicycle compartment with your bicycle reservation is located, is printed on your ticket. Please use only the bicycle holder which is reserved for you.
You will receive a bicycle ticket slip together with your rail ticket which has to be attached to your bicycle in a place where it can be easily seen (ideally on the handlebars). The slip contains information about your journey with the bicycle.
If you have already made a booking with us at Omio, and need to add on a bicycle ticket, you will need to go to a Deutsche Bahn point of sale (ticket machine or ticket desk) to reserve the bicycle ticket.
- Validity: Valid on journeys within Germany. For International journeys, it will only be applied to the legs of the journey that are within Germany.
- Discount: 25% on the Flexpreis Fare and Sparpreis Fare.
- BahnCard 25, 2. Klasse (only valid for 2nd class tickets): 62€ per year.
- BahnCard 25, 1. Klasse (valid on 1st class tickets): 125€ per year.
- Changes: Depends on the ticket fare, please refer to the changes section.
- Cancellation: Depends on the ticket fare, please refer to the cancellations section.
- Validity: Valid on journeys within Germany. For International journeys, it will only be applied to the German leg.
- Discount: 50% on the Flexpreis Fare and 25% on the Sparpreis Fare.
- BahnCard 50, 2. Klasse (only valid for 2nd class tickets): 255€ per year
- BahnCard 50, 1. Klasse (valid on 1st class tickets): 515€ per year.
- Changes: Depends on the ticket fare, please refer to the changes section.
- Cancellation: Depends on the ticket fare, please refer to the cancellations section
- Validity: Valid on all journeys within Germany without a regular ticket. For second class bookings, a seat can be reserved separately.
- Discount: 100%.
- BahnCard 100, 2. Klasse (only valid for 2nd class tickets): 4,270€ per year
- BahnCard 100, 1. Klasse (valid on 1st class tickets): 7,225€ per year.
- Changes: None as no ticket is required.
- Cancellation: None as no ticket is required.